Monday, September 3, 2012

My new Canning Kitchen

Today I got busy and processed three new recipes.  I always process our own fruits and vegetables right away.  I either can, juice or dehydrate everything left over from our Garden Gate Sales.
I dehydrated some Hall's Pink apples, carrots and beets to put together packages of what I call,
ABC Sprinkles.
Hall's Pink apples are pink under their red skin.  They are an early delicious juicy apple.




Dehydrated carrots.

Tomorrow I'll do the beets and then the next day put together the ABC Sprinkles.




My first new recipe to make was called Roasted Garlic Onion Jam.  It started out as a lot of work because first I had to roast the garlics.  Then pop them out of their skins.

Roasted Garlics
I prepared the walla walla onions and started cooking them in some of our  own soft apple cider.  I didn't want to cook them with oil as that isn't recommended in a canning process.   

Walla walla onions


Now the onions and the garlics are cooked down in a slow reduction with a balsamic vinegar and brown sugar.

My neighbour Max came over and did a sample testing.  She said it was AWESOME!


While the Roasted Garlic and Onion Jam was cooking away, I started some Tomato Peach Chutney.   I used our own fresh tomatoes.
The tomatoes were seeded and chopped.

Then I added my friend Beverley's peaches.  I took the skins off and chopped them too.
Beverley's peaches were grown right here on Mayne Island, BC.

Then,  I added raisins, onion, sugar, curry and ginger.